Get the Most out of Your Gas Tank this Summer
The hottest parts of summer are still in front of us here in the Pacific Northwest. So as we get into the summer driving season it's important to take some time to make sure that your car is ready for the many miles about to be added to the odometer. There are a few simple maintenance services you can have completed to your vehicle to improve its current MPGs, but there are also a few good driving habits to keep your fuel efficiency up. Check out these simple tips to get better miles per gallon so you can spend more time on the road and less money at the gas station during your next road trip!
Auto Maintenance Tips
Routine auto maintenance is crucial in order to extend the life of your vehicle, but it also helps improve MPGs Check out these simple maintenance tips to increase your fuel economy.
- Keep tires properly inflated - Tires that are under-inflated take more power from the engine to turn, so keep that rubber pumped up!
- Change the spark plugs - Spark plugs are what create the tiny explosion that powers the pistons up and down. If the plugs become dirty they may misfire, which is not only a big waste of fuel but can cause damage to the engine.
- Replace the air filter - A clogged air filter can prevent the proper amount of air from mixing with the fuel to create a smooth running engine. The vehicle will burn addition gas to compensate!
- Keep up with scheduled maintenance - Your vehicle has a service schedule in its owner's manual. Be sure to always have these maintenances completed, including changing the oil on time!
Simple Driving Tips
By following these easy driving tips you can improve your MPGs!
- Lighten the load - If you have any excess weight in your car you should remove it, For every extra 100 pounds your fuel efficiency can drop between 2-3%.
- Drive the speed limit - Most cars are designed to get maximum fuel efficiency at about 55-60 MPG, a common speed limit on many highways. The faster you go above this the more fuel your car will need to use to make the engine work harder.
- Avoid long idles - There is no reason to let cars idle. If you're going to be stopped in your car for more than a minute or so, shut it off!
Get the most from your car this summer! Head to ONB Automotive for expert auto maintenance in Everett before you hit the road. Our full service auto repair shop can handle any service your car needs! Give us a call at 425-317-9618 to request a quote or schedule an appointment for professional auto repair in Everett today!
O.N.B. Automotive Blog
Written By Brian Corey
Published By MORBiZ